About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA
Self-taught baking goddess takes on the world, armed only with her kitchen-aid mixer.

Monday, July 4, 2011

Sundried Tomato Hummus

1. I am a tornado in the kitchen. I do not keep a tidy workspace. It looks like a bomb went off. BUT!!! there is a method to my madness.

2. I like to cook in my bathing suit. This is a recent development and I attribute it to the scorching temperatures that have been plaguing my life lately. BUT!!! if you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it. Just not when there is grease or splashback threats involved.

3. You can never have too many spatulas. I was beginning to question my collection, thinking it a bit obsessive. BUT!!! let me tell you, there is always more room in your life (and kitchen drawers) for spatulas. I am actually now considering expanding my collection.

4. I've come to look at my kitchen appliances like children. And I totally play favorites. Today, I am in love with my magic bullet and food processor. Enamored with them, really. They get the gold stars for the day. BUT!!! that doesn't mean I don't still love my Jolly Green Giant. He is green, after all.

5. My food processor is probably older than I am. My dad passed it down to me and I'm thinking it may have been a wedding present that he and my mom received in the 70s. The pictures on the box and in the owner's manual are quite telling. As is the stylish brown tinge of the mixing bowl and base. BUT!!! that thing works like a charm. It's seen more action in the last month than it has in its entire lifespan, I think.

photo by Jessica Y.
There isn't a thing I don't love about this guy. 
His 70s style is charming.

So, where is all this going? TO HUMMUS, OF COURSE!!! We are off to a 4th of July BBQ and my guest etiquette tells me I cannot show up empty handed. It's too hot for cupcakes (and I'm out of butter) and I have a jar of tahini paste that's been taunting me, begging to be used, for weeks now. This also leads me to confession #6...

6. I am really, really bad at following directions. Ask any of my teachers--I much prefer to do things my own way. If you don't believe me, ask Mr. MacLaughlin about my 25 page report on the state of Russian prisons and the correspondence I started with a felon, in the name of research. I was 14. BUT!!! not following directions (or recipes) usually lands me in a world of something delicious that I can call my own. And now I can share it with you.

The "Don't tell me what to do" Hummus
2 cans garbanzo beans
1/2 c tahini paste
2 T olive oil
1/4 C dried basil
1/4 C fresh basil
1 jar sundried tomatoes
1 T sea salt
1 T balsamic vinegar
1 clove of garlic
1 strip of bacon (yes, if you know me, you know this is not my style... but trust me, ok?)
2 T lemon juice
pepper to taste
1. Drain the beans and dump them in your food processor. Add the olive oil. Blend until smooth.

2. Add the tahini and basil. Pulse until well mixed.

3. Add the tomatoes, vinegar, garlic and lemon juice. Blend until fully combined.

4. Add everything else. Mix well.

5. Use a spatula to scrape the sides of the mixer and along the bottom of the bowl. Blend for about 30 more seconds. 

6. Serve and enjoy!

photo by Jessica Y.
Get your veggies and pita chips ready!

7. I am dying to go on Cupcake Wars or the Next Food Network Star. I watch these shows (more than I should) and I sit there thinking, "I could do that!" Until they do something fancy, or hard, or with a French name. Then I get scared and am knocked back into reality. I also have this unsettling fear that I would a) Choke and make a fool of myself and/or b) be the personality on the show that everyone hates. So I'm keeping it in my kitchen for a while... BUT!!! I may have a project for NEXT summer... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment