About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA
Self-taught baking goddess takes on the world, armed only with her kitchen-aid mixer.

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Milk 'n' cookies

For better or for worse, the wonders of modern technology make it so that I can post stuff from anywhere... Including the gym where I work part time. Why I need a part time job on top of teaching is a whole different issue... But let's not get started on that one. Mama's got a mortgage, bottom line.

And speaking of mamas, this entry is for them. Seems like everyone I know these days is popping out kids, and since I am SO not at that place in my life right now, I've compensated by baking for my mama friends.

Most recently, I wanted to do something nice for my boyfriend's sister in law. But, my lack of maternal instinct left me unsure of what to do. The advice of another momma friend was to avoid baking with booze or crack, and I should be fine. She suggested a lactation cookie, which honestly gave me the heebie jeebies at first. But! I did some research, and a few test batches, and I've come up with a recipe that is a total hit--for both those who lactate and those who do not. I can't attest to their effectiveness, but they are supposed to help increase and maintain a healthy milk supply.

So, if you're not totally grossed out yet... Check em out!

Milking Cookies

1.5 c flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 c peanut butter
1/2 c butter
1.5 c oats
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
1 c flax
2 T milk
3 T brewers yeast
2 c chocolate chips
1/3 c water
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
2 eggs

1. Preheat oven To 350.

2. Sift together flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda.

3. In large bowl, cream butter, sugars and peanut butter.

4. Add eggs, one at a time.

5. Mix in flax. Follow with vanilla and almond extract.

6. Add the flour mixture in thirds. Follow with the milk.

7. Mix in the oats. Follow with the chocolate chips.

8. Roll dough into ping pong sized balls. Flatten with a fork.

9. Bake in preheated oven for 9-11 minutes.




photo by Nick H.
They may not be all that photogenic, but these cookies are a hit
among mommies and daddies alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment