About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA
Self-taught baking goddess takes on the world, armed only with her kitchen-aid mixer.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Kerri cakes

Thesis countdown: 8 days. Yes, you could say that I'm freaking out. And I go out of town tomorrow. Who's genius idea was that? But I've been a whirlwind of productivity over the last week. On all fronts, both thesis and non-thesis alike.

Unfortunately, my motivations for keeping busy are beyond the usual "I don't want to do my homework..." woes. Last week, one of my mentors passed away unexpectedly. Her teaching career has been going strong longer than I have been alive, and she will be missed by so many. She was a phenomenal woman who, alongside my other mentor, has guided me through my early years of advising. She is someone that I often tell my students I aspire to be like someday, when I am a grown up. You can read more about her here. My eyes well up with tears every time I think about having to share this news with my students, who idolized her...

Her best friend (for over 50 years!) is my other journalism mentor (you can read about us here) and my heart is aching for the loss she is dealing with. Hearing the pain in her voice when I talked to her earlier this week brought me to my knees. I cannot imagine not being able to wake up and call my best friend tomorrow morning. I love these women like my family, so, in a sense, I feel like I've lost one of my own family members... And really, these women, JEA and my yearbook and newspaper kids ARE my family.

And what do I do when I can't deal? I bake! And what makes everyone happy? Cupcakes! Itty bitty ones!

These cupcakes are special to me because I named them after one of my best friends--she's vegan, and I wanted to make her something delicious for her birthday and this cupcake was born... She's one of the people I'd be lost without. Who would go on runs with me? Who would let me borrow their dog three days a week? Who would make fun of my "sort of" skirts and my tie dye obsession?

Kerri Cakes
(vegan chocolate cupcakes)
photo by Jessica Y.
Their vegan-ness does NOT detract from the deliciousness. 
Even the pickiest eaters will devour these! 
(Garnished with a dark chocolate covered almond.)
3 Cups flour
2 Cups sugar
6 Tablespoons cocoa powder (Dutch Process)
2 Teaspoons baking soda
1 Teaspoon salt
3/4 Cup vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons vinegar
2 Teaspoons almond extract (vanilla works, too)
2 Cups strong coffee (plus extra for brushing)

1. Preheat your oven to 350. Line your cupcake tin with the most adorable liners you can find.

2. Sift together all dry ingredients.

3. Add each liquid ingredient, stirring well after each addition. This is especially exciting, because of the magic that the baking soda and vinegar make!

4. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake in oven for 9-11 minutes for mini cakes and 18-20 minutes for regular cupcakes.

5. Once the cupcakes come out of the oven, prick the tops 2-3 times with a toothpick. Brush the tops with the remaining coffee. Allow to cool before frosting.

Vegan Frosting
Chocolate Mocha Flavor
photo by Jessica Y.
A wire whisk and an electric mixer make frosting a breeze! 
Trust me, I had four years of doing this by hand.
 
1 Cup sugar
6 Tablespoons cornstarch
4 Tablespoons cocoa
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1 Cup strong coffee
2 Tablespoons oil
1/2 Teaspoon vanilla 
 
1. Mix sugar, cornstarch, salt and cocoa in saucepan on medium heat. Whisk in coffee.
 
2. Heat until boiling and mixture begins to thicken (1-2 minutes). 
 
3. Remove from heat and stir in oil and vanilla.
 
4. Allow to cool. Whisk before using. 



No comments:

Post a Comment