About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA
Self-taught baking goddess takes on the world, armed only with her kitchen-aid mixer.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Chai Tea Cupcakes

I know, I know... This one has been a long time coming. The first time I even talked about these on facebook, I had people asking for the recipe. As soon as I started this blog, I had people begging me to post it. I guess you can call me a bit of a tease. If I gave you what you wanted, right away, would you keep coming back for more after that? Hmmm...?

These cupcakes are really popular with my students. Which is a bit surprising, I think, since they have a pretty sophisticated flavor. I don't know a lot of kids that are really into chai, but I suppose when you put something in a cupcake, that makes it popular, regardless of your audience. When I made these for my journalism class, one of my students, who is middle eastern, laughed when I explained that the cupcakes were Chai tea flavored. As the rest of the class kind of looked at her quizzically, she explained that in her language, "Chai" means tea. So when I explained the cupcakes, I was basically calling them tea tea cupcakes. And the name of these treats was born. Now, my students request them by their Shogoofa inspired name.

My sister is another person that has been requesting these goodies. For Christmas a few years ago, she made homemade chai mix for all of her friends. She's always been a big fan of the chai flavor, but she has yet to taste these cupcakes. But the suspense will be over for her in a matter of days. You see, my lil' sister is getting married this spring, and since we will both be home for the holidays, my mom is having a bridal shower for her. The "thank you" gift for all her guests? Cupcakes made by yours truly! Everyone will be leaving with a Tea Tea cupcake in hand!

My flight home leaves San Diego at 6:30 am tomorrow. So, naturally, it makes sense that I'd be working out recipes, cleaning my kitchen and trying to resist the urge to bake before I leave. Perhaps the 6 gym classes and two runs I've been on in the last four days are pushing me over the edge. I might be losing my mind. Here's to hoping that writing about baking will be enough, so that I'm not up all night wrecking havoc on my freshly cleaned kitchen!

Tea Tea Cupcakes*
adapted from Cupcake Heaven
photo by Jessica Y.
Chai cupcakes (far left) take center stage at any event. 
  • 2 c flour
  • 1.5 tsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 tbs. Chai tea powder (I use one whole packet of Oregon Chai)
  • 1/4 c softened butter
  • 3/4 c light brown sugar, packed
  • 2 extra large egg whites
  • 2/3 c buttermilk
  1. Preheat the oven to 350.
  2. Sift together your dry ingredients, except for the baking powder.
  3. With an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until smooth.
  4. Add the egg whites, one at a time.
  5. Slowly add the flour mixture, then the baking powder.
  6. Add the buttermilk until just combined.
  7. Spoon into cupcake liners, filling about 2/3 full.
  8. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
  9. Frost with a plain vanilla buttercream and sprinkle with Chai tea powder. Or, these are also delicious without frosting at all.
*I have discovered a vegan version of these cupcakes that I am anxious to try. I will report back soon, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment