About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA
Self-taught baking goddess takes on the world, armed only with her kitchen-aid mixer.

Monday, December 12, 2011

Butternut Squash Stuffed Shells

I wore a onesie to school today.

Yes, a full on, head-to-toe, you've gotta zip yourself into it, onesie. And pig tails. Go big or go home, right?

And no, I have not temporarily lost my sanity. Or had a short-term lapse in judgement. It was PJ day. And I participate. I love dress up days. I love school spirit. I love helping kids associate something fun with going to school. How can teachers really expect kids to get into learning and being stuck in a desk all day if we don't spice it up with a little fun? And what's more fun than seeing your teacher in a fuzzy pink onesie with bunny footies? I've participated in enough school dress up days that, surprisingly, kids can still take me seriously when I'm standing at the front of the room looking like an absolute goof ball. In fact, I think they pay better attention when I'm dressed like a total asshole.

But I don't do anything halfway. If I'm going to dress up, I'm going to go all out. None of this "I'm just going to wear sweats for PJ day" garbage. Oh no. I went to Target and got some kickass pajamas. And I looked ridiculous. And I loved every minute of it.

And my passion translates to the kitchen. If I'm going to make cupcakes, they are going to be the best dang cupcakes on the face of the planet. If I'm going to make cookies, they are going to be more than just chocolate chip. And if I'm going to make dinner, you can bet it won't be coming out of a box.

Enter: one of the best dinners I've put together on record. Seriously. This is that good.

Butternut Squash Stuffed Shells
photo by Jessica Y.
They look sooooo cheesy and delicious and fancy... But they are EASY!

  • 12-14 Jumbo Pasta Shells
  • 2 cups ricotta cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed
  • 1 small zucchini, peeled and cubed
  • 1 10 oz. bag of fresh spinach
  • 4 pieces of bacon
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • Zest of one lemon
  • Juice of one lemon
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil
  • 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 3 cloves of garlic, diced.
  1. Prepare shells according to package directions. Leave slightly al dente.
  2. Place the squash and zucchini on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Place in 425 degree oven for 25 minutes.
  3. Fry the bacon, reserving the drippings. Chop the bacon.
  4. Wilt the spinach, using the bacon drippings over medium heat. Drain excess. Pat dry.
  5. Combine ricotta, egg, spices, 2/3 of the lemon zest, bacon, spinach, baked squash, 1/2 cup of Parmesan and salt and pepper.
  6. Spoon about two tablespoons of the ricotta mixture into each shell.
  7. Place the shells on a well greased 9x13x2 baking dish.
  8. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
  9. Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
  10. In a saucepan, melt the butter. Add the diced garlic.
  11. Brown the butter. Drizzle over the shells.
  12. ENJOY!
 photo by Jessica Y.
Delicious, baked goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment