About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA
Self-taught baking goddess takes on the world, armed only with her kitchen-aid mixer.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Buttercream

Have I told the story about the sharks here, yet?

I can't remember, and my brain is fried, so if I have, scroll down through this next part and forget I'm mentioning this again.

My friend Kerri says I'm like a shark. Sharks (according to Kerri... not sure on the actual fact here) can't stop swimming because they'll die... My student teacher brought up a good point here---what happens when they sleep? Anyway, not the point. Sharks are constantly going. They have to keep moving, keep swimming (anyone else hearing Dori right now? Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...). And according to Kerri, I am the human equivalent of a shark. I don't know how NOT to do things. I always have to be busy. Or I die.

Case in point. Finished my Master's in the end of August. Signed up to be on my neighborhood's community council about a week later. Am now the individual in charge of the monthly newsletter. Totally loving it... But somewhat thankful for the flexibility the organization has, as my page design for this first issue left a little bit to be desired.

So, in addition to my gym addiction, my kitchen addiction, my cleaning/organizing addiction, my facebook addiction... I now have a new vice. All things Rolando Park Community Council related, addiction. I layed out a four page, 8.5x11 newsletter and loved every second of it. I am a super nerd.

It was almost as much fun as making these cupcakes. Which people have been begging for the recipe for. And the frosting? To die for. I may have told multiple people today that I want to take a bath in it. Or just wallow in vats of its frothy deliciousness. Amazing.

Pumpkin Cupcakes
photo by Jessica Y,
Pumpkin goodness topped by, quite possibly, the best frosting ever. 
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, softened

1. Combine all of the ingredients (seriously, all of them) in the bowl of your stand mixer. Beat on medium speed for 20 minutes. For real, just walk away for a little bit. Have a diet coke.

2. Once the batter is smooth, spoon into cupcake liners (about 24). Fill them about 2/3 of the way full. You can sprinkle the tops with cinnamon, if you don't plan on frosting them.

3. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.

4. Allow to cool (or cheat and put them in the freezer for about 10 minutes like I do).

Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Buttercream
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 3 cups powdered sugar (varies based on temperature/humidity)
  • 3 tablespoons half and half (varies based on temperature/humidity)
1. Whip together the butter and shortening.

2. Add the almond extract and cinnamon.

3. Add the powdered sugar, brown sugar and half and half until the desired texture is reached (it should be fluffy).

2 comments:

  1. Ok, so I can only have about 6 grams of sugar at once and I love pumpkin so I thought I'd give these a try using Splenda and Splenda Brown Sugar Blend. I've had a lot of success using these products for other baked goods but not so much for these. I only made the cupcakes low sugar and left the frosting full strength for the rest of the crowd to eat. The cupcakes still had a good flavor, but the texture was all wrong. I'm thinking that with the Splenda, 20 mins was too long to beat the batter. The glutens got overprocessed so the cakes were tough and very dense. I will probably try again with only 10 mins of beating or less (I'll watch it and stop once it's together and smooth).

    To tell you the truth, I had a very hard time leaving the mixer going to 20 mins! I was pacing by 10 mins and watching the timer the last 5 mins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The texture and consistency of Splenda causes problems for me every once in a while. I really try to go low-cal when I'm making things that I'm going to be eating, so I love using Splenda. But I've found that for a lot of my baking endeavors, like most of my cupcakes, it just doesn't stack up to regular sugar. I know their big marketing ploy is that it is exactly the same, but my experience begs to differ.

    ReplyDelete