About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA
Self-taught baking goddess takes on the world, armed only with her kitchen-aid mixer.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

'Healthy' Cupcakes

I took cupcakes to the gym today.

That has to be some sort of sin.

The two things that I have come to love most, and that take up the majority of my time outside of working, are baking and working out. Not working out in the "pumping iron" sense of things... but Zumba'ing, running, playing volleyball on the beach with some of my favorite ladies, being active type stuff.

When I first started cooking, I was mainly doing it so that I could count calories. I had embarked on a weight loss journey, and I didn't want to FUBAR it by pounding down calories when I didn't realize what I was doing.

Now I've gotten to a point where I just enjoy the process--playing with flavors, trying new things, making things that are so delicious that I don't care what the calorie count is (ok, let's be real... I do care. That's why I go on 5-mile runs before days I know I'll be in the kitchen all day).

I suppose I'm a walking oxymoron... A baker who loves the gym. People who know me always ask if I make healthy cupcakes... I think that's kind of an oxymoron, too. Sure, there are some that are much better for you than others... But let's be real... Anything with frosting? Not calorie-friendly.

As my baking skills have developed, I've learned how certain ingredients work with one another. I've also figured out the science (a little) behind cooking. As someone who chose her major based on which one required the least math and science, I suppose it's somewhat shocking that I love the long equation and science experiment that baking truly is. But I understand it. Not like algebra. Baking tastes good. Math doesn't.

So the really long answer to the fairly simple question, "Do you make healthy cupcakes?" is that it really depends on what your definition of healthy is. Is it going to be a calorie-free, stuff-your-face and lick-your-fingers-clean sort of experience? No. Because there is butter. And sugar. And... FOOD. But do I try and supplement healthy alternatives when I can? Yes.

And the results are here. I've tried two recipes that are on the lower side of the calorie scale... And now you can enjoy them!

Drunk (but healthy!) Carrot Cake

photo by Jessica Y.
Let's talk about the many levels of awesomeness in this photo. 1) clearly, delicious carrot cake cupcakes. 2) I now have some really kickass business cards. 3) That is a six pack carrier that I transformed into a cupcake box. Recycling=winning.

4 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup apple sauce
1/4 cup beer
1/3 cup vegetable oil
8 oz. crushed pineapple, juice drained
3 cups shredded carrots
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond extract
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup slivered almonds

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. Mix together all wet ingredients.

3. Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt. 

4. Add the eggs to the wet mixture, one at a time.

5. Add the carrots and pineapple to the wet mixture.

6. Add the flour mixture.

7. Fold in almonds. 

8. Scoop in to cupcake liners and bake for 15-17 minutes, until the top of the cupcake springs back when pressed gently. The tops will be very shiny. Let cool for 10 minutes before enjoying.

FROSTING
8 oz cream cheese
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons milk
3.5 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon beer

1. Mix together beer, extract, cream cheese and cinnamon.

2. Add powdered sugar. Add milk, as needed, to get desired consistency.

Muffin-Cakes
Adapted from Cupcake Heaven
3/4 lb. butternut squash or pumpkin, peeled and cubed
1 ripe banana
1/2 tsp. vegetable oil
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cub brown sugar
3 Tbs. apple sauce
3 large eggs
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder

1. Preheat the oven to 375.

2. Toss the squash with the oil. Spread in a single layer on the cookie sheet. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes, or until softened. Mash into a chunky pulp. Mix in the banana and apple sauce.

3. Reduce the oven to 350.

4. Cream the butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time. 
5. Sift together spices, flour and baking powder. Add to the butter mixture.

6. Fold in banana/squash/applesauce mixture.

7. Spoon into baking cups. Bake for 17-2 minutes, or until top of cupcake springs back when poked.

These will work well with the frosting above--just omit the beer and almond extract. OR, they are more muffin-like in their texture, so they could work without frosting as well.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment