About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA
Self-taught baking goddess takes on the world, armed only with her kitchen-aid mixer.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Green Chile and Bacon Corn Bread

There are certain kinds of things that have to be served at just the right time in order for them to maximize on their potential.

There are certain foods that can only really be eaten at certain times of the year to be fully appreciated.

For example, a peppermint mocha from Starbucks? Doesn't taste as good if it is not in the red holiday cup. Sure, you can get it all year... but why? It's not the same.

Another example? Soda from a fountain vs. soda in a can. Totally not the same. And that fountain soda is always ten times more refreshing when someone else has walked across the street to 7-11 to get it for you, then if you cracked open a Diet Coke while sitting on the couch watching Top Model reruns.

I could go on for days... But one of the reasons I am SO EXCITED that it is slowly becoming fall is that I can start baking with my favorite flavors. Squash, sweet potato, pumpkin, carrots... Sure, all things that I could get any time of the year I wanted... But they just don't taste the same when they aren't served during this time of year.

You're going to get bombarded with posts from me featuring some of my favorite fall flavors. I hope that's ok with you.

Let's start small.

Corn Bread.
Now, you might argue that this treat can be served any time, and it's always good. And while that is true, it is what it is served WITH that makes all the difference. Imagine the salty flavor of the bacon, the kick of the chiles and the mildly sweet flavors of corn mingling with the rich flavors of a squash soup. Just close your eyes. Enjoy it.

Now make it happen!

Green Chile and Bacon Corn Bread
 adapted from Food Everyday
photo by Jessica Y.
Layers of flavor and just over all amazingness.

.5 cup unsalted butter, melted
1.5 cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
6 tablespoons sugar
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
.5 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
3 large eggs
1 can mild green chiles (8 oz. size)
12 pieces bacon, cooked and crumbled (I used turkey bacon)

1. Preheat oven to 400. Butter an eight inch square baking pan.

2. In a big bowl, stir together all dry ingredients.

3. In a smaller bowl, whisk together melted butter, eggs and buttermilk.

4. Add the the buttermilk mixture to the dry mixture. Stir until just combined. Fold in bacon and chiles.

5. Transfer to baking pan. Cook in preheated oven until bread springs back when poked, about 20-25 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you completely, foods taste best when accompanied with just the right season or emotions. This cornbread looks wonderfully sinful and I don’t think I am disciplined enough yet to not make it with real pork fat bacon. I am considering this recipe to pair with my red bean chili or even, if I dare, thanksgiving ...

    ReplyDelete