About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA
Self-taught baking goddess takes on the world, armed only with her kitchen-aid mixer.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Chicken & Avocado Enchiladas

Love is being able to go to the bathroom with the door open.

Love is crying over something stupid (like breaking your Anthropologie measuring spoons) and knowing that the other person won't judge you.

Love is what makes you want to rush home from work everyday, even though you don't have air conditioning and it's 100 degrees in your house and your classroom happens to have a nice arctic chill to it.

Love is that funny feeling that tells you everything is just right, everything is ok and your life is going in the right direction, even though sometimes it feels like nothing is going right, everything is wrong and you have no direction.

There is no denying that the last year has been a rough one. There was a lot of stress, many tears, a few break downs and some major challenges in the last 12 months. But there was also a lot of love, support, compassion and understanding. And for that, I am incredibly lucky.

I'm currently sitting on my porch, folded up like human oragami, in my wicker patio chairs. I'm listening to the tinkling of my windchime, the barking of my neighbor's neglected dog and the constant drum of activity from the corner 7-11. The background reel is the never-ending buzz of cars heading down College Avenue.

And while this year has been hard, it's been a reminder that love really does conquer all. I wouldn't be sitting where I am now, enjoying the breeze, watching my weirdo cat eat ants and thinking about my lecture for tomorrow's photography class without all of the love that I have in my life. Sure, love doesn't buy groceries, or do the laundry or fill your car with gas... But it does give you the motivation, drive and energy to make those things happen for yourself.

With summer drawing to a close and school getting into full swing, I'm realizing just how lucky I am. I wake up everyday excited to go to a job I love. To teach kids things that I am passionate about. And I come home everyday to a man who I love more than anything in the world. And he loves me right back. And our life isn't perfect, and there have been plenty of bumps along the way, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

And on top of that, I've been able to embrace a hobby that makes me happy. I've been able to hone a skill that I love having. I've been able to share bite-sized bits of cupcake love with so many people. I've been able to experiment with recipes and share my results with... whoever wants to read them. Food is love, and this is all my way of spreading love in whatever ways I can.

I Love You, A Whole enchil-LOT-as
6 flour tortillas
1 can enchilada sauce (red or green... I prefer green)
4 cups chopped chicken
1/2 cup chopped red onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 bell peppers, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chipotle seasoning
1 can refried beans
2 avocados, diced
1 can diced green chiles
1 can sliced olives
3 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
2 cups shredded cheddar & jack cheese, divided
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the chicken and seasonings. Once the chicken begins to cook, add the onions, garlic and peppers. Cook until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked all the way through. Remove from heat.

2. In a large bowl, mix the beans, chiles, avocado, cilantro and olives. Add one cup of the cheese mixture.

3. In another bowl (shallow and wide), empty the enchilada sauce. Dip the one tortilla in the sauce, thoroughly coating it. 

4. Spread a heaping spoonful of the bean mixture in the center of the dipped tortilla. Add two spoonfuls of the chicken/veggie mix. Roll tightly. Place seam-side down in a greased baking dish.

5. Once you roll all the tortillas, pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and any leftover chicken mixture.

6. Cover and bake at 425 for 25-30 minutes. Remove the cover for the last 10 minutes of baking time and sprinkle with any remaining cilantro. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

Photo by Jessica Y.
They taste like love. Really, they do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment