About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA
Self-taught baking goddess takes on the world, armed only with her kitchen-aid mixer.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Almond & Raspberry Pesto

I got up at 4:30 this morning. And I am still functioning. That is an astounding accomplishment all on its own. But there is more...

I made my personal best time in the 5k that I ran today. A 9:30 minute mile pace. I'm no track star, but considering where I started at, I'm pretty damn proud.

I survived the first week of school. Fresh off newspaper camp. With zero days of prep. Teaching a course I've never taught before. No one died. Victory.

I defended my thesis on Friday. Successfully. I only have a small pile of edits to complete before I officially turn it in to the Office of Graduate Studies. That's a good feeling. (this also explains why I have not posted since August 9--I'm sorry!!!)

And here's the biggie: I RELAXED today. Granted, this was easier, given that my day started at 4:30 AM, but I layed on the couch. I vegged out.

And I made pesto. And it was delicious. I can't take all the credit for it, because my friend Kerri gave me a starting point... But I'd argue that my tweaks make this pesto border on perfection.

Perfect Pesto
photo by Jessica Y.
Simple ingredients. Amazing flavor.
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup slivered almonds
10 oz spinach
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup fresh basil
1 cup fresh raspberries
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1 tablespoon italian seasoning

This next part gets tricky, so pay attention....
1. Throw all that stuff in the blender or food processor (or magic bullet!).
2. Hit "puree".
3. Toss with fresh pasta, drizzle over chicken, take a bath in it, etc. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment