About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA
Self-taught baking goddess takes on the world, armed only with her kitchen-aid mixer.

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Apple Pie Bars

Thanks to a sale at Costco, and my forgetful nature, I now have close to two dozen apples at my house. Now, I love apples... But I really can't eat more than one (maybe two) in a given day. So naturally, I saw this as a challenge.

How many apple-y things can I make before 1) I turn into an apple myself, 2) I develop an apple-intolerance or 3) the apples go bad?

Challenge accepted.

Results? Deliciousness.

Apple Pie Bars
adapted from Allrecipes.com
So much delicious happening right here.


Bars
1 cup sifted flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 cup melted butter
2 tablespoons buttermilk
1 teaspoon rum (or vanilla extract)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 cup chopped apple

Topping
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease a 9x9 baking dish.

2. In a large bowl, mix together melted butter, brown sugar, and 1/2 cup of white sugar with a wooden spoon until smooth. Stir in the egg, buttermilk and vanilla. 

3. In a smaller bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and spices.

4.  Stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture.

5. Stir in chopped apple.

6. Spread into prepared pan.

7. In a small bowl, mix together remaining cinnamon, sugar and cardamom. Sprinkle over the top of the apple mixture.

8. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.

9. After they have cooled, cut them into squares.


No comments:

Post a Comment