About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA
Self-taught baking goddess takes on the world, armed only with her kitchen-aid mixer.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Strawberry Protein Bites

I never fancied myself a runner. Even as my running routines have increased, I never classified myself in "that" category. I've gotten to a point where I actually enjoy running and do actually look forward to my weekly distance endeavors. But when I drag my butt along the boardwalk at the beach, I never dream of classifying myself in the same category as the "real" runners who smoke past me, barely breaking a sweat.

But the reality is... I think I am nearing that category. I'm running a half marathon in two weeks. Me. Thirteen miles. The thought terrifies me. And excites me. The feeling of accomplishment that comes with breaking a new personal record, adding a mile or just surviving, is incredible. These feelings have come, more and more regularly, as my training regimen has increased.

Other feelings have become more frequent, too. Like hunger. Oh my lord, I am hungry. Running ten miles puts a pit in your tummy like nothing else. But the trade off? Burning a thousand calories makes me far less critical of what I put in my mouth. But it's also made me realize that what I'm eating really does matter. With little 5ks here and there, and maybe a 10k every once in a while, my meal preparation hasn't played a major role in my training.

But now, with running maps rolling out in front of me that are ten plus miles long, I'm realizing that I need to feed my body more effectively. Putting the right things into it help me get the kinds of results I want out of myself. And learning how to effectively prepare things to support my efforts has been both challenging and exciting, in the realm of my kitchen. Combining my newest addiction (tacking on miles), with my most popular addiction (baking), has been a deliciously rewarding experience.

These yummy morsels are both healthy and delicious. They also provide an adequate amount of protein and give you a wonderful, flavorful boost of energy before or after a workout. And, you don't have to feel bad about popping a few of them in your mouth every time you walk by the kitchen.

Strawberry-Almond Protein Bites
adapted from Baking Serendipity 


  • 1 cups rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1/4 cup dark chocolate pieces
  • 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or almonds
  • 1/4 cup fresh strawberries, diced
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup almond butter
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/4 agave

In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine oats, raisins, flaxseed, nuts, chocolate, strawberries, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add almond butter, agave and honey and stir to coat evenly. Refrigerate for at least an hour. Using an ice cream scoop or tablespoons, form the bites into balls. Store in the fridge in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment