About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA
Self-taught baking goddess takes on the world, armed only with her kitchen-aid mixer.

Monday, July 14, 2014

Birthday Cake Cinnamon Rolls

To me, birthdays are always going to be synonymous with Funfetti Cake. Oddly enough, I can't remember a single birthday where I actually had a Funfetti Cake... But for some reason, that is the flavor profile that prickles on my taste buds when I think, "Birthday."

I love Funfetti so much that, despite my prowess for baking and my love for all things cupcake, I will insist that my wedding cake be made of Funfetti. And none of this hipster, "I came up with my own deconstructed version of Funfetti," stuff. I want: From the box. Pillsbury. Funfetti. Cake. Seriously--this is a non-negotiable.

The flavor of Funfetti has been something that is popping up all over... Of course, they just call it Birthday Cake, or Sprinkle Remix or whatever, but it's the same flavors. The OG Funfetti is always the best, but these other attempts sometimes come close to hitting the mark.

Recently, we were preparing to entertain a group of friends for the morning US game during the World Cup. The menu? Easy stuff--chips, salsa, fruit, crackers... and, you know, cinnamon rolls. When the request was made for cinnamon rolls at 8 PM the night before, I was tempted to just say no. But I went to pinterest and found a solution. A no-yeast, no mix, no fuss recipe for (drumroll please) BIRTHDAY CAKE CINNAMON ROLLS.

Funfetti Cinnamon Rolls
adapted from a hot mess of recipes on Pinterest.com

Ingredients
For the Rolls:

  • 1 tube of crescent rolls
  • 1 box Funfetti Cake mix
  • 3 T butter
  • 1 T brown sugar
  • Candy sprinkles

1. Dust your workspace and rolling pin with cake mix.
2. Open your crescent rolls carefully and roll them out onto your workspace. Pinch together the seems from the crescent shapes on the rolls. Flip over your sheet of dough and pinch together the seams on the other side.
3. Melt the butter and mix it with 2 T of cake mix to form a runny paste.
4. Using a pastry brush, evenly spread the cake paste all over the sheet of dough.
5. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the top of the paste.
6. Toss sprinkles on top of your brown sugar layer.
7. Carefully and tightly roll your sheet of dough up, leaving it to rest on the seam.
8. Wrap in wax paper and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
9. Remove your dough from the fridge and slice your cinnamon rolls into 2" spirals.
10. Place the spirals into a greased muffin tin, or crowd them together in a baking dish.
11. Drizzle any remaining paste over the tops of the rolls and add more sprinkles.
12. Place in a 350 degree oven and bake for 15 minutes.

For the Icing:

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 cups sifted Funfetti cake mix
  • Powdered sugar, as needed
  • 2 T whipping cream
  • Candy sprinkles

1. Whip the butter until it is light and fluffy.
2. Slowly add the cake mix.
3. Add in the whipping cream.
4. Add the powdered sugar, as needed, to form a creamy consistency.
5. Stir in the candy sprinkles.
6. Dollop the icing on top of your warm cinnamon rolls.
7. Toss some more sprinkles on top.
8. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment