About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA
Self-taught baking goddess takes on the world, armed only with her kitchen-aid mixer.

Monday, June 25, 2012

Mini Marathon Muffins

Five years ago, I'm pretty sure that if I had tried to run a mile, I would have dropped dead before I finished. I'm fairly certain that the likelihood of getting the five-years-ago version of me in running shorts and tennis shoes, bouncing down the beach boardwalk before noon, was virtually nil. Even the thought of running, for any other purpose that to save my own skin, would have made me cringe. "Running" and "fun" were definitely not on the same page in my book.

But now, years down the road and about a hundred pounds lighter, I've got an addiction. I may still groan about an upcoming run, but I also crave them. I like the feeling of pushing my body. I like being out of breath. I like struggling to make it up a hill, beat my last mile time, push myself just a little bit further, sweat just a little bit more.

In May, I ran my first half marathon. My running buddy and I prepped for our race in a number of ways. We did lots of distance runs... with celebratory high-fives every time we demolished an old time or distance... We ate a lot--did you know that running 10 miles a day will make you REALLY FREAKING HUNGRY? The night before, we relaxed, watched crappy TV, ate carbs with reckless abandon and baked.

What could be better for a half (or mini) marathon, than protein-powered, chocolate-chipped, bite-sized, mouthfuls of delicious? With protein powder in the batter, these little guys were exactly what we needed the morning of the race... and pretty much any other time we felt like eating them.

Mini Marathon Muffins
Adorable and delicious. What more could you ask for?

* 3 large, ripe bananas
* 4 egg whites
* 2 tbsp vegetable oil
* 1/3 cup nonfat milk (or almond milk)
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1 tsp vanilla
* 1/2 tsp cinnamon
* 1 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp baking soda
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 2 scoops chocolate protein powder
* 1 cup oats (processed to fine crumbs in blender)
* 1 cup all purpose flour
* 1 cup mini chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mash bananas with fork.
  3. Add to the bananas…eggs, oil, milk, sugar, salt, cinnamon, vanilla, baking soda and baking powder. Mix well.
  4. Whisk together the protein powder, flour and oats.
  5. Gently blend the protein, flour and oats into the banana mixture and stir for 20 seconds or until moistened.
  6. Fold in the chocolate chips.
  7. Pour batter into lined mini muffin pan, filling the cups about 2/3 full. 
  8. Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the middle of the center muffin comes out clean.
  9. Devour. Have energy. Gain all the muscles!

No comments:

Post a Comment