About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA
Self-taught baking goddess takes on the world, armed only with her kitchen-aid mixer.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Taste of Summer: Lemon Meringue

When the housing plots in my neighborhood were developed, there were certain things that stayed consistent from lot to lot. Because there was a single builder who did most of the homes in the area, many of the homes are structurally similar--having only changed through remodels and additions over the years. The landscaping on many of the plots was similar, too--certain kinds of trees, plants, etc. One thing most of the homes had in common was some kind of fruit tree...

That is, of course, except for my house. Ok... That's not entirely true. There are three unidentified fruit trees in my back yard, but they don't produce anything--other than frustration. I planted a lemon tree, as well, but it has yet to give me any lemons. I'm determined, though. Someday, my baking needs will be fulfilled by my own plants!

But for now, I rely on my giving friends, who have more fruit than they know what to do with. I hoard lemons and lemons (and eggs, actually) from fellow teachers who have an abundance--or no use for the little produce that they have. And in return, I bake delicious things that then reside in our teachers' lounge. It's pretty much a win-win for everyone involved.

Lemon meringue has always been one of my favorite desserts. And also one that always intimidated me. But I've realized that, with a trusty kitchen aid mixer, it's not hard at all. It just takes some patience and some practice. And having churned out about half a dozen lemon meringue pies in the last two months or so, I can say I think I've perfected a recipe.

Lemon Meringue Pie
adapted from Allrecipes.com
You can also pipe on the meringue, using an icing bag and whatever tip tickles your fancy.

  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 3 lemons, juiced and zested
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 4 egg yolks, beaten
  • 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
  • 4 egg whites
  • 6 tablespoons white sugar
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. To Make Lemon Filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest... Don't worry if you get a little pulp in there, too. It makes it that much more delicious!
  3.  Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter. Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture. Bring to a boil and cook while stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat. 
  4. Pour filling into baked pastry shell. (Don't forget to poke holes in the shell before you bake it)
  5. With your mixer, whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust.
  6. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.




No comments:

Post a Comment