About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA
Self-taught baking goddess takes on the world, armed only with her kitchen-aid mixer.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Chicken, Spinach and Gnocchi Soup

You may or may not be aware that I don't have a heater. If you know me at all, you must know... because I've been complaining about it relentlessly since September. I've been in a back and forth war with my home warranty company since the end of summer, and it seems that everyone just wants to pass the buck. But, as sad as that is, it's not the point.

Being a teacher, I worship, crave and live for my long weekends and extra days off. I know there are plenty of people out there who think, Oh, but you have summers off... Right, I do. But guess what I? I don't get paid during the summer. And I work 10 to 12 hour days, often, during the school year. But also, again, this is not my point.

But these things are coming together. I have a long weekend. And my heater doesn't work. And it's cold. And I'm sick. I can't seem to get warm, my throat is raw, like someone raked over it with sand paper and thumbtacks. My body hurts. My brain is full of snot.

I am determined not to let this dang cold ruin what is left of my weekend. There are too many runs to enjoy and too many group X classes that I need to take. And if I choose to lie around on the couch all day, I want to do it by choice, not by default.

So I am making myself better. With soup. Delicious, creamy, healthy soup. And you should make it, too. It's the yummiest! I'm fairly certain that you don't need to be sick to enjoy this, but I may also market this as an absolute cure-all. One bowl and I'm already feeling better!

Sign me up for five miles AND bootcamp tomorrow!

Gnocchi, Chicken and Spinach Soup
adapted from allrecipes.com
photo by Jessica Y.
Full of yummy veggies, shredded chunks of chicken and just enough creaminess to call it perfection.
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 3 stalks celery, diced
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 2 small sweet chili peppers, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 carrots, shredded
  • 1 pound cooked,  shredded chicken
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 (16 ounce) package mini potato gnocchi
  • 1 (6 ounce) bag baby spinach leaves
  • 1 can evaporated milk
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste
  1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook onion, celery, garlic, and carrots in the hot oil until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. 
  2. Stir in cubed chicken and chicken broth; bring to a simmer.
  3. Stir gnocchi into the simmering soup and cook until they begin to float, 3 to 4 minutes. 
  4. Stir in spinach; cook until wilted, about 3 additional minutes.
  5. Stir evaporated milk into the simmering soup. Cook until soup thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment