About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA
Self-taught baking goddess takes on the world, armed only with her kitchen-aid mixer.

Friday, January 6, 2012

Deviled Crab Dip

Forgive the absence... The holidays happened.

Well, rather, the holidays happened and then life after the holidays started up again and suddenly my free time evaporated. But I've found some, this lovely Friday evening, and I'm snuggled up with a comforting episode of Gangland and some pepper jelly and crackers... What, that's not your idea of a perfect Friday night?

The first Friday back after a week of school is always such a reward. Even though our week was short, Friday seemed like it took forever to get here. But I'm ready for this two day respite before I get back in the game on Monday. I like my job, I enjoy going to work... But damn, this week made me tired. The result? Less cooking in general, and a lot less baking.

The decrease in culinary adventures is both a reflection of my level of exhaustion and an effort to do things a little more healthfully around here. BUT... We're not going there yet. I have a few more calorie-laden recipes to share with the world... But once those are done? We might have to start calling this blog Bake Me Skinny instead.

But for now... Bring on the goodness!

Deviled Crab Dip
Adapted from Taste of Home
photo by Jessica Y.
My sister and I made these as an appetizer on Christmas Eve... Incredible!


  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
  • 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
  • 18 oz. crab meat
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon minced chives
For the top of each serving: 
  • 1 cup soft bread crumbs
  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted
  1. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour and salt until blended. Gradually stir in cream until smooth.
  2. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat.
  3. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in the crab, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and chives.
  4. Spoon into six greased 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups. Place on a baking sheet. Combine bread crumbs and melted butter; sprinkle over tops. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until topping is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment