About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA
Self-taught baking goddess takes on the world, armed only with her kitchen-aid mixer.

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Grape and Quinoa Salad

I've always been a little bit of a control freak. I'm sure that there are psychologists out there would have a hay-day analyzing me, my ways and figured out where along the road in my development my fragile psyche was shattered in such a way that I grapple with controlling everything around me. But I suppose that's another story for another time.

I've slowly learned (and this has taken a LONG time) not to stress over things that I simply cannot control. I can't control the choices that other people make. I can't control diseases, famine, war, really bad traffic accidents... All of these things are out of my hands. And not being able to fix the world around me used to be something that really effected me. Perhaps it's maturity, or reality, setting in, but I'm learning to let go.

My students have doing an amazing job teaching me that it is ok--and that other people are capable, too. Perhaps this lesson is owed, in large part, to my amazing newspaper staff and all the things they have taught me over the past four years. I know that I wouldn't be where I am, both personally and professionally, without them, the things they have taught me, the experiences we have had and the challenges we have over come.

Also as I have gotten older, I think I have become more self aware. I've learned how to hone in on what I am feeling, understand it and reflect on it. One thing that I have realized is that my love for cooking and baking comes from this need for control that I harbor. I CAN control a recipe. I CAN impact the way someone feels with food that I give them (for better or for worse, right?). But the more I've thought about it, the more I've realized that I think I am enamored with my kitchen because of the power it gets me. I can add a tablespoon or a teaspoon, a cup or a quart and make something delicious. I have the power to do that.

Recipes have also taught me to trust. Sometimes, you read something and think, "There is no way in hell that that is going to taste good..." But I usually make myself try it. I would rage that about 90% of the time, my instincts are right. But last week, I had my ego handed to me. I stumbled across a recipe in Ralph's and decided to throw caution (and control) into the wind and give it a try. It sounded like the flavor combinations could be JUST quirky enough to be delicious. But it also promised the possibility that things could go horribly, horribly wrong.

But they did not.

And it was good.

Soooooo good.

Grape and Quinoa Salad
adapted from a Ralph's Recipe Card

1 1/4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup quinoa
2 cups seedless grapes, halved (I used red and green)
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
4 oz. feta cheese crumbles (I got the sun dried tomato kind)
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 slivered almonds, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

photo by Jessica Y.
You wouldn't expect these things to be so harmonious... but OMG, SO GOOD!

1. Cook the quinoa in the broth. I used my rice cooker that I've had since my freshman year of college. That thing is both a trooper and a live saver. Thanks Dad, for insisting on that one!

2. Preheat oven to 375. Place grapes in a large bowl and drizzle with one teaspoon of the oil and one tablespoon of the balsamic. Toss to coat. Spread the grapes into a single layer on a cookie sheet (with edges). Bake for 10-12 minutes, stirring once. Remove from oven and let cool.

3. In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, grapes, feta, cranberries, almonds and parsley. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining oil and vinegar. Drizzle over mixture and toss to coat.

4. Enjoy! Delicious served both hot and cold. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment